Introduction to NOUFORS

What's New


Michel M. Deschamps - Director

Personal Sightings

Newspaper Archive


UFO Characteristics

UFO Physical Traces

Animal Mutilations

UFO Occupants

Crop Circles

Audio Clips



and UFOs

Military Officers
and UFOs

Scientists and UFOs

Astronauts and UFOs

Pilots and UFOs

Cops and Saucers

Celebrities and UFOs

Who's Who in

Skeptics and Debunkers

Encyclopedia of Terminology and Abbreviations

Kidz' Korner




1996 Sighting Reports

Date: Monday, February 26, 1996.
Location: Sudbury, Ontario.

The following report was made by MV, a Sudbury resident who was skeptical about UFOs until he had his first sighting in 1995. Since then, whenever he goes out, he carries with him two cameras (35 mm and 110) and a pair of binoculars. The time was between 3:00 and 3:30 p.m. The sky was clear and the ceiling was unlimited. On this day, he was walking down the street, and as he looked up in the sky, he noticed an object coming from the north and heading south. It was surrounded by a vapour-like cloud or halo. He tried to take a photo with the 35 mm but the lens malfunctioned. As he reached down for his binoculars, he looked up and noticed that the halo around the object had dissipated. He could see that the object was a solid structure of a brownish-orange colour, which appeared to be layered. When looked at through binoculars, the object was much more distinct; it had a smaller layer at the top and a larger one at the bottom, like a saucer seen from the side. At this point, the object changed direction and headed east, almost at a 90 degree angle. The object appeared to be flying at an altitude between 30 and 40,000 feet (rough estimate). No sound. The object sped away at terrific speed as he began taking photos with both cameras. All he got on the pictures was a tiny dark spot. The spot appears on two different types of film negative: 35 mm and 110. Sighting lasted about 2 minutes. The first photo was taken with 110, the second was taken with 35 mm and the third with 110. The spot doesn't appear on any of the other frames.

Date: Wednesday, April 10, 1996.
Location: Little Current, Ontario.

A female resident reported that she and her son had witnessed an amazing sight. They stood and watched as seven little lights maneuvered around a big central light. The smaller objects would sometimes zip in and out of the large one.

Date: Sunday, April 28, 1996.
Location: Sudbury, Ontario.

The following sightings began at around 9:30 p.m. and ended around 2:30 a.m. The witness was outside, observing the sky when he noticed four streaks of light; three of them were travelling in a tight formation (side by side by side) and the fourth one was offset. All four were heading towards the west at high speed, in the direction of the super stack. As they travelled into the smoke plume of the stack, the observer took out his 35 mm camera and used its flash as a beacon, aiming it in the direction of the objects. The fourth object changed direction for a few seconds, but then rejoined the others. The witness ran through the house to the front door (which faces west) to get another look at the objects. When he pulled up his binoculars, they were gone. The colour was white with a yellowish tint in the center. The witness went back in and called me. I tried to confirm his sighting but from where I was located, I couldn't see anything. After he got off the phone, he went back outside and waited. The time was now 10:00 p.m.

It wasn't long before something else came into view. As he looked around with his binoculars, he spotted four lights flying overhead from the west towards the east-northeast. He followed them with the binoculars until they disappeared from view. He picked up the cordless phone and called me again, telling me what he had just witnessed. He held on to the phone as he looked through the binoculars (in the general direction of east-northeast), and he noticed two red balls of lights maneuvering in the sky. They looked like they were going to collide with each other, but at the last second just before they touched, they would move away from each other. The direction of travel of these two objects was from the northeast to the southwest, while doing their zig-zag maneuver. They were round, red objects with an orange tint in the center. After a few more seconds, they just disappeared from view.

Date: Sunday, June 16, 1996.
Location: Blind River, Ontario.

At 11:55 p.m., on Saturday, June 15, a female resident (JM), her daughter and a friend who was sleeping over, spotted a bright light in the sky. The main witness called it a "star" because her daughter's friend didn't "believe" in UFOs. They looked at the bright object which, when seen with the naked eye, was multi-coloured in appearance. But through a Newtonian telescope, it was just a white diamond-shaped light. It was similar to another light they had seen the weekend before, on Saturday June 8.

After being stationary for a period of time, it began to move all over the sky, then it would stop. It did this a few more times. And then, four little lights came out of the big one and they all started doing aerobatics in the sky, as if they were playing tag. All of a sudden, one or two of them came down over the side of the house. When that happened, neighbourhood dogs started barking. The girls got scared and wanted to leave right away. When they tried to start the car, everything cut out (the car is brand new and has never had any electrical problems). But the woman managed to start the car up again and drove off.

Date: Monday, June 17, 1996.
Location: Blind River, Ontario.

I phoned the same female witness (JM) and she told me that the object showed up again the night before. They used a marker to make sure that the object was moving. She also talked about a couple who were heading back from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and encountered a similar object near Thessalon, Ontario. But this time it was bright red with a fiery tail and it was not a comet.

Date: Monday, August 12, 1996.
Location: Copper Cliff, Ontario.

Todd Fraser, friend and fellow Field Investigator Trainee for MUFON Ontario, received the following report: on Sunday, August 11, at about 10:30 p.m., seven teenagers had seen a large disk-shaped object while taking a walk. It was seen maneuvering around the INCO Superstack, and then it disappeared from sight. But then, when it reappeared, it seemed to be a lot closer. The boys got real scared and ran home. The time was approximately 11:00 p.m.

NOTE: Todd spoke to one of the boys' sister and she told him that her brother, the main witness, went to see a psychiatrist a week later with his mother. Through her, Todd and I tried to get an interview with him but he was reluctant to speak about the subject. We couldn't locate the other witnesses.

Date: Wednesday, August 14, 1996.
Location: Blind River, Ontario.

JM called me again to report that they had seen UFOs on Sunday night (August 11). She also mentioned an incident where two girls driving a car were headed back from Chapleau and were followed by a blue light.

Date: Saturday, August 17, 1996.
Location: Sudbury, Ontario.

The following sighting took place 4 days after the full moon. At about 2:02 a.m., the witness was outside, observing the night sky through his binoculars. He pulled them down and began to flash his flash light up at the sky. As he looked around some more, he suddenly noticed two lights moving in from the south. The lights were set in a vertical pattern, one above the other (at arm's length, they were about 2 inches apart). The pattern of lights continued to move north, then stopped, and remained motionless for approximately 10 seconds. Then out of nowhere came a third object, which swooped around the front, and positioned itself to the left of the other two objects, forming an equilateral triangle (at arm's length, it measured 2 X 2 X 2 inches). The tip of the triangle formed by the third light pointed to the north. The witness watched as the triangular formation started to descend. As the lights continued to come down from the sky, they were overshadowed by the brilliance of the moon, which was located to the left of the formation.

Date: Saturday, November 23, 1996.
Location: Sudbury, Ontario.

At about 4:55 p.m., I received a call from a friend (WM) who reported that he and his girlfriend has just seen an object in the sky. As they were driving down the street, he looked up to the right and noticed something up in the air, moving from right to left. It was about the size of a lead tip of a pencil held a foot away from your face. It had no lines on it...it was like liquid mercury, but darker grey like stainless steel. And it had a little bit of a trail behind it and it was moving very, very slowly. He pointed it out to his girlfriend and she said: "Well, I've never seen anything like that either." It was very distinctive-looking.

As they drove down further, they watched as the round object moved slowly near some smoke stacks. It was close enough that he could see shapes of things on it but couldn't really make out anything. If there had been wings or a (helicopter) blade, you'd see it. But there was nothing...no flashing lights. After a while, it seemed to be moving at such a slow pace that he couldn't tell if it was moving or not...almost hovering, he said. He watched it for about 3 - 4 minutes.

Date: Saturday, November 23, 1996.
Location: Sudbury, Ontario.

At about 5:05 p.m., I received a call from another witness (GT), who reported that he had seen the same object from his third-floor apartment. The sky was clear, with the exception of a pink haze very low to the distant horizon. He was working on his computer in the living room and his living room window faces out to the southwest, towards a small smoke stack which is located across the highway from the giant super stack. And for some reason or another, a sort of a small elongated dot of light caught his attention. He watched it for about half a minute or so and said: AGee, that thing is moving!@ There were no clouds in the sky. At first, he thought it was a cloud with the sun shining off of it because he'd seen that before. It was gradually moving away from the smaller stack, from right to left. He grabbed his 35 mm camera and took a couple of pictures through the window. Then, he put his boots on, went out on the snow-filled balcony and took a few more shots of it. He watched it as it drifted across the horizon. Once or twice, it seemed to stop. It reminded him of a balloon. He said: "It just didn't look that shape; it was elongated and then, it became more of a point."

He also noticed a jet with a long vapour contrail. But the thing continued on as he snapped a few more pictures. From his apartment, he was seeing the object at eye level. The object went down in a dip in the rocks, where some clouds were accumulating, and gradually disappeared. He said he should have gone to a specialty shop to get the film processed instead of Wal-Mart because the photos didn't show anything at all. The camera he used was a Minolta 5000 Maxim, and the lens that was on it was a zoom 35 - 80 mm. It was set on infinity and it has manual adjust, also.

Date: Friday, November 29, 1996.
Location: A few miles north of Parry Sound, Ontario.

At about 12:10 in the morning, the conductor and the engineer of a CN train spotted a green and orange light as they were traveling between Art Beg and Burton, near Parry Sound, and heading north. The light came down from the sky as if it was going to crash, and then stopped above the tree line where it hovered about 600 yards from the witnesses (This was observed through the engineer's right window). The light was as bright as a street light at that distance. The train was on slow track so it was travelling between 20 and 30 mph. The object was observed for approximately two minutes. Then it flew off at a 45 degree angle to the west.

NOTE: The conductor, who is skeptical about UFOs, commented that if it had come down closer to the train, he would have shit in his pants!

Names of witnesses withheld. For educational purposes only.